Thursday, November 4, 2010

The Meat Dress

The madness of Monster Ball week is now over, so I think its time that I gained more focus on the purpose of this blog - giving MY views on Lady Gaga. Right now, I'm going to talk about the infamous meat dress that Gaga wore to this years MTV Video Music Awards in Los Angeles.



This dress stole the show. Lady Gaga asked Cher to hold her meat purse. Afterward, she appeared on the Ellen DeGeneres show wearing the dress. Ellen is a vegan. She was offended by the dress and was forced to publically explain why she acted so strangely toward Gaga, an artist she had previously praised, during the broadcast.

The dress was not worn to offend vegetarians, vegans, animal lovers or any compassionate human being. It was worn to make a statement - "I am more than a piece of meat". GaGa wore the dress to get into the papers. She had taken several discharged soldiers from the US Army in support of repealing "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" policy. The meat dress was worn to get that message to a public audience.

I wasn't offended by the dress. I wasn't surprised by the dress. Nothing she does surprises me anymore. You never know what to expect with Gaga, but when you pay as close attention as I do...anything is possible.

Was the dress in good taste? No, it wasn't. It offended a lot of people that it was not meant to offend. Do I think Gaga became more famous because of it? Of course she did. She was EVERYWHERE. Did she know it would grab as many headlines as it did? Of course. Lady Gaga is a VERY smart woman when it comes to publicity, and I have no qualms in saying she can manipulate the media just as much as they try to manipulate her. She's the biggest star on the planet right now for that very reason. I do think Gaga wore it with the right intentions, but I also think she sat down afterward and realised that she had made some kind of mistake. She didn't apologise for it, and she never will. She's not the type to do it.

I wouldn't apologise either.

Would I wear a meat dress? Never. Will I complain if she ever wears a meat dress again? Nope...

I'm not easily offended. :P

Paws up! (") (")

2 comments:

  1. I also think the meat dress was absolute GENIUS! Just as you pointed out, not in good taste, but what good is actually done in good taste these days xD Is it true it is gonna be turned into beef jerkey?? that would be rad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it HAS been put into a process that will turn it into beef jerky...! Whatever kind of meat it was made out of, it did not stink and it did not leave off "meat juice" and will naturally turn into jerky. So even though she wore a meat dress (LOL!), she was thinking about the future of said cow in the process...

    ReplyDelete